Voter Registration Information
Who Can Register to Vote
In order to register to vote in Erie County you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States of America;
- Be an Erie County resident;
- Be 18 years of age or older on the date of the election (PRE-REGISTRATION: You may submit a voter registration form during the calendar year in which you will turn 18 years of age for the purpose of pre-registering to vote. You will be eligible to vote upon attaining the age of 18 years.);
- Not have been convicted of a felony pursuant to the laws of New York State without your civil rights having been restored, your maximum sentence of imprisonment having expired, or having been discharged from parole; and
- Provide your current valid New York State driver license number or identification card number. You must provide the last four digits of your Social Security number if you do not have a New York driver license number or identification card number. NOTE: If you do not have a New York State driver license number, identification card number or Social Security number, check the box indicated on the voter registration form which states “I do not have a New York DMV number or a Social Security number.”
How to Register to Vote
- You may print a blank form or fill out the form online. However, you must print the application, sign in ink and mail completed form to Erie County Board of Elections. Please do not fax your application to the Board of Elections
- Verify that all the information on your application is complete. Your Social Security number, New York driver license number or ID card number will remain confidential and will be used only for voter registration purposes.
YOU MUST SIGN YOUR APPLICATIONThe application requires an original signature because you are swearing to or affirming an oath.
- Mail your voter registration form to the Erie County Board of Elections. A first class postage stamp is required. Alternatively, you may hand-deliver the application to any election office in the state.
- Once your application has been processed, the Erie County Board of Elections will mail you a voter identification card as your official notification that you are registered to vote. Make sure all of the information on your card is correct. If you have not received a voter identification card within a reasonable period of time, or if you should have any questions regarding your registration, please contact the Erie County Board of Elections.
NOTE: You must be registered for at least 25 days before you can vote in an election.
If the information on the application is not true, the applicant can be convicted of a felony of the third degree and fined up to $5,000 and/or imprisoned for up to 4 years.
How to Update Your Registration or
Change your Party Affiliation
In order to update your registration or change your Party Affiliation, you must complete a new Voter Registration Form and the form must be signed in ink. Any information provided that is different from what we currently have on file will be updated. Please note that a party affiliation change will not take effect until AFTER the current year's General Election in November. You can obtain a form by printing one from our website through the link provided above or by contacting the Erie County Board of Elections. The completed form may be mailed or hand delivered to the Erie County Board of Elections.